Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) 2019 Conferences
Friday, 27th September 2019
The National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education is the national body responsible for leading and advising on the enhancement of teaching and learning in Irish higher education. In partnership with students, staff and leaders in Irish higher education, the National Forum works to develop an inclusive, collaborative and innovative culture that maximises learning impact for the success of all students. An independent review of the National Forum, published in 2018, deemed it to be an ‘essential component of the national-level infrastructure for higher education in Ireland’ and recommended its establishment on a sustainable basis.
SURE 2019 Conferences
The Second Annual Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Conferences (SURE 2019) took place on 27th September 2019 in Institute of Technology, Carlow, Technological University Dublin and Institute of Technology, Sligo.
Students from around Ireland who completed their Final Year Project in 2018-19 were invited to submit their undergraduate research work to this conference.
The aims of the conference were to:
- Provide current students with an opportunity to gain an understanding of the work which has been undertaken by recent graduates, and the career opportunities that exist for graduates in Scientific disciplines.
- Provide recent graduates with an opportunity to gain a reviewed publication based on the scientific research undertaken by them during their undergraduate studies.
- Celebrate the academic achievements of recent graduates in the scientific disciplines.
- Provide a multi-disciplinary scientific forum through which undergraduate research outputs can be disseminated to students, researchers, academic professionals and industry.
Three SURE 2019 conferences ran simultaneously in three venues around the country.
- Institute of Technology, Carlow (host institution)
- Waterford Institute of Technology
- Cork Institute of Technology
- Technological University Dublin (host institution)
- Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Institute of Technology, Sligo (host institution)
- Athlone Institute of Technology
- Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
- Letterkenny Institute of Technology
The pages for the three conferences, listing all presenters and award winners, and providing photographs of the events, are:
Students and graduates who had recently completed an undergraduate research project (NFQ Level 8 or NFQ Level 7) in a Scientific discipline are invited to submit a 250 word abstract for an oral or poster presentation.
Submissions were invited for the following, and related, disciplines:
- Analytical Science
- Biopharmaceutical Science
- Food Science
- Health Science and Nutrition
- Land Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Sport Science
Abstracts were reviewed by a team of over 40 reviewers around Ireland, leading to the final presenter list, comprised of 23 oral presentations and 67 poster presentations.
Students entering final year in September 2019 were engaged with from semester 2 of 2018-19 to encourage them to attend the conference. This cohort constituted the majority of the audience at the conferences.
This is the presentation for final year project coordinators and penultimate year tutors that was used to inform students about the opportunity to participation in the SURE 2020 Conference.
This is the promotional flyer used to publicise the conference.
Download the SURE 2019 Conference Booklet listing all those involved, all presenters, all keynotes and sponsors.