Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) 2019 Conferences
Friday, 27th September 2019
The National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education is the national body responsible for leading and advising on the enhancement of teaching and learning in Irish higher education. In partnership with students, staff and leaders in Irish higher education, the National Forum works to develop an inclusive, collaborative and innovative culture that maximises learning impact for the success of all students. An independent review of the National Forum, published in 2018, deemed it to be an ‘essential component of the national-level infrastructure for higher education in Ireland’ and recommended its establishment on a sustainable basis.
SURE 2019 Conferences
The SURE Network is delighted to host the Second Annual Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Conferences (SURE 2019) on 27th September 2019 in Institute of Technology, Carlow, Technological University Dublin and Institute of Technology, Sligo. Students from Institutes of Technology throughout Ireland who are completing their Final Year Project in 2018-19 are invited to submit their undergraduate research work to this conference. The aims of the conference are to:
- Provide current students with an opportunity to gain an understanding of the work which has been undertaken by recent graduates, and the career opportunities that exist for graduates in Scientific disciplines.
- Provide recent graduates with an opportunity to gain a reviewed publication based on the scientific research undertaken by them during their undergraduate studies.
- Celebrate the academic achievements of recent graduates in the scientific disciplines.
- Provide a multi-disciplinary scientific forum through which undergraduate research outputs can be disseminated to students, researchers, academic professionals and industry.
The presentation for final year project coordinators and penultimate year tutors and SURE 2019 Conference Flyer can be used to inform students about the opportunity to participation in the SURE 2019 Conferences. Academic members of staff wishing to participate in the review process can submit their details here (by Friday, 7th June 2019).
- Abstract submission system opens: Friday, 22nd March 2019
- Abstract submission deadline: Wednesday,
15th May5th June 2019 [For cohorts with a Final Year Project submission deadline after this date, Project Coordinators may contact the Programme Committee Chairperson to request an extension for their students.]
- Acceptance notification: Friday, 5th July 2019
- Confirmation by student of intention to present: Wednesday, 31st July 2019
- Submission by student of final version of abstract or poster: Friday, 16th August 2019
- Conference date: Friday, 27th September 2019
- Conference theme: “Sharing Discovery”
Download the SURE 2019 Conference Booklet.
Three SURE 2019 conferences will run simultaneously in three venues around the country.Students from the following institutions will present at the conference in Institute of Technology, Carlow (venue details):
- Institute of Technology, Carlow (host institution)
- Waterford Institute of Technology
- Cork Institute of Technology
- Technological University Dublin (host institution)
- Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Institute of Technology, Sligo (host institution)
- Athlone Institute of Technology
- Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
- Letterkenny Institute of Technology
Students and graduates who have recently completed an undergraduate research project (NFQ Level 8 or NFQ Level 7) in a Scientific discipline are invited to submit a 250 word abstract for an oral or poster presentation. Submissions are invited for the following, and related, disciplines:
- Analytical Science
- Biopharmaceutical Science
- Food Science
- Health Science and Nutrition
- Land Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Sport Science
The process for making a submission is as follows:
The deadline of 5th June 2019 has passed. Submissions are no longer being accepted.
Prepare an 250 word abstract using the Abstract Submission Template that clearly communicates your research to a scientific audience that may not necessarily have expertise in your own discipline. You are also required to answer two additional questions in this form, to assist reviewers in evaluating your submission. Prepare a consent form using the Consent Form Template signed by your project supervisor. Upload the abstract and consent form the Submission System, providing all the required details, including the list of authors and their affiliations (Note: you will need to be logged into a Google account to make this submission. If you do not have a Google account please contact the Programme Committee Chairperson.)
The deadline for submission is Wednesday,
15th May 5th June 2019. If your Final Year Project submission deadline is after the submission date, Project Coordinators are asked to contact the Programme Committee Chairperson.
Your submission will be reviewed by two experts in your field, and authors will be notified of the outcome by email on Friday, 21st June 2019.
Authors will be invited to make an oral presentation or a poster presentation at the conference. Oral presentations are 10 minutes in duration. A laptop and projector will be available for presenters who wish to use Microsoft PowerPoint on the day.Posters are formatted as A1 portrait or landscape. Presenters will be available for discussions about the poster during the conference.
All accepted authors will be issued with guidelines for the final version of their presentation or poster in advance of the conference.
Attendees will register with the local venue. Details of the three venues are provided below: