SURE Network Curriculum Activities and Events
The objectives of the SURE Network, from a curriculum development perspective, are
- To develop models for the integration of the undergraduate conference and the undergraduate journal in the undergraduate curriculum.
- To survey SURE Network members regarding undergraduate research models (e.g. implementation of final year projects, incorporation of research at earlier stages of programme).
- To investigate undergraduate research models being implemented nationally and internationally (e.g. those set out in the UCL Connected Curriculum).
- To research and develop models, guidelines and recommendations for undergraduate programme teams where seeking to further integrate research in their curriculum.
For any further detail on any of the below projects or events please email Dr. Therese Montgomery – firstname.lastname@example.org
Projects and Workshops
SURE Network seminar on Enhancing Undergraduate Research through conferences and publications- challenges and opportunities in Higher Education post Covid
This NFTL funded day long seminar and workshop took place in TU Dublin, Grangegorman campus on Friday the 20th Mary 2022. The event was organised by Dr. Therese Montgomery (SURE Network chair, ATU Galway) and chaired by Dr. Ciarán O’Leary (invited speaker and SURE Network member,TU Dublin) on the day. The event featured talks from five invited international and three national speakers focusing on undergraduate research:
Invited guest speakers:
- Professor Paul Taylor, Professor of chemical education and Dean for student education,
University of Leeds, conducts research on research-based learning and the impact of
undergraduate research initiatives and leadership in Higher Education. Paul is also involved
with the annual British Conference of Undergraduate Research (BCUR).
- Emma Barker is Journal and Conferences Manager and Caroline Gibson is Deputy Director in
the Institute for Advanced Teaching and Learning (IATL), University of Warwick. They created
the International Conference of Undergraduate Research (ICUR) in conjunction with
Monash University, Australia and coordinate the event each year.
- Dr Anne Marie O’Brien is a lecturer in Technological University Shannon (TUS) and the chair
of the European Team-Based Learning collaborative (ETBLC) Which is affiliated with the
TBLC. She is a certificated TBL practitioner and is on her way to becoming a certified TBL
trainer consultant. She is also chair of the TUS and SURE network digital badge committee.
- Dr. Ciarán O’Leary is the Head of Learning Development, College of Sciences and
Health, TU Dublin and former chair of the SURE Network from its origin in 2016 to
May 2021. Dr. O’Leary is the project lead on the successful SUREByts initiative for
early research engagement through the SURE Network.
- Dr. Anne Friel is a lecturer in Technological University Shannon (TUS). Dr Friel joined TUS
after several years working in Harvard University, Trinity College Dublin and the University of
California, Los Angeles. An avid research publisher she is editor of SURE-J, Irelands first
expert reviewed undergraduate research journal.
Full details can be found on the seminar information leaflet available here SURE Network seminar 200522 event details and programme
SURE Network 2020 Student Survey
See here for details of the SURE Network Student Survey.
SURE Undergraduate Research Project Support Workshop
See here for details of the SURE Network COVID-19 Undergraduate Research Project Support Workshop that is taking place on 19th November 2020 from 12:00 – 4:15 PM, in partnership with Evidence Synthesis Ireland (ESI).
COVID-19 Community of Practice Dry Lab Research Project Supports
Visit here to read about the research project supports put in place through the SURE Network during the 2020 Covid-19 crisis. For information on the outputs from the specific communities of practice, visit the following sub-sections: