SUREbyts -> Author a SUREbyt Video
SUREbyts is a project that is designed to help researchers and research students disseminate their research to an audience of first-year and second-year undergraduate students; and to support the integration of research into the early years of undergraduate Science programmes.
Researchers and research students are invited to develop a short video, titled a SUREbyt, that will be made available online here. In each SUREbyt video, researchers will introduce themselves, and then pose a question and explain solutions related to their research. SUREbyt videos will be designed for a target audience of first- or second-year undergraduate students, and should not assume anything beyond basic knowledge in their disciplinary area.
Each SUREbyt video will be divided into the three blocks during which the researcher introduces themselves, describes a problem related to their research, and presents three possible solutions. When used in class, students will be asked to reflect on the question and possible solutions before the researcher provides their opinion on the relative quality of the solutions in the final block of the video.
The SUREbyts project is being run by the SURE Network, which runs an annual student conference to disseminate undergraduate research, as well as an undergraduate research journal.
The benefits of authoring a SUREbyt about you and your research
The SUREbyt videos will be used by hundreds of students around Ireland. For active researchers and for research students this is an excellent opportunity for you to:
- Disseminate your research to an early undergraduate (year 1 or 2) audience.
- Contribute to the enhancement of research in the undergraduate curriculum.
- Enthuse novice scientists about your research and the future world of research.
- Help develop the problem solving, critical thinking and research skills of novice scientists.
- Start the process of recruiting future students.
- Build your online profile.
- Increase your research impact.
- You can apply for a Digital Badge from the SURE Network.
What you would need to do to author a SUREbyt video about you and your research
The SURE Network would be delighted to welcome researchers and research students to develop SUREbyt videos. If you wish to do you, the steps involved as as follows:
- Contact a member of the SUREbyt project team to discuss and agree the concept for your video (alternatively, complete the expression of interest form and a member of the team will be in contact with you).
- Once you have agreed the concept, you will be invited to develop a 3-minute part 1 video (with images, graphs etc if required) in which you introduce yourself and your research, and present a question and three possible solutions, and a 2-minute part 2 video in which you discuss the solutions, highlighting the solution that you think is best and why. It is important that both parts are designed to be easily understood by a broad audience of novice scientists. Specific guidance is available here.
- Once you have developed the two parts, you will submit the videos to us along with a completed consent form. We will then edit it into a SUREbyt format and publish it online and promote it with lecturers of first year and second year students nationally.
- If you wish to withdraw your video from the project at any point, you can do so through your contact point on the project team.
Find out More
To find out more about the project, contact a member of the project team or complete the expression of interest form.
The project team hosted a webinar for researchers and research students who were interested in developing a SUREbyt video on Friday, 4th June 2021. A recording of the webinar is provided below.