Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) 2018 Conferences
Friday, 28th September 2018
SURE 2018 Conferences
The SURE Network hosted the First Annual Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Conferences (SURE 2018) on 28th September 2018 in Athlone Institute of Technology, Dublin Institute of Technology and Waterford Institute of Technology. The simultaneous conferences had a total of 27 oral presentations and 67 poster presentations, and were attended by over 500 students, academic staff, professional body and industry representatives.
Students from around Ireland who completed their Final Year Project in 2017-18 were invited to submit their undergraduate research work to this conference.
The aims of the conference were to:
- Provide current students with an opportunity to gain an understanding of the work which has been undertaken by recent graduates, and the career opportunities that exist for graduates in Scientific disciplines.
- Provide recent graduates with an opportunity to gain a reviewed publication based on the scientific research undertaken by them during their undergraduate studies.
- Celebrate the academic achievements of recent graduates in the scientific disciplines.
- Provide a multi-disciplinary scientific forum through which undergraduate research outputs can be disseminated to students, researchers, academic professionals and industry.
Three SURE 2018 conferences ran simultaneously in three venues around the country.
- Athlone Institute of Technology (host institution)
- Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
- Institute of Technology, Sligo
- Dublin Institute of Technology (host institution)
- Institute of Technology, Tallaght
- Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Waterford Institute of Technology (host institution)
- Institute of Technology, Carlow
- Cork Institute of Technology
The pages for the three conferences, listing all presenters and award winners, and providing photographs of the events, are:
Students and graduates who had recently completed an undergraduate research project (NFQ Level 8 or NFQ Level 7) in a Scientific discipline were invited to submit a 250 word abstract for an oral or poster presentation. Submissions were invited for the following, and related, disciplines:
- Analytical Science
- Biopharmaceutical Science
- Food Science
- Health Science and Nutrition
- Land Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Sport Science
Abstracts were reviewed by a team of reviewers around Ireland, leading to the final presenter list, comprised of 27 oral presentations and 67 poster presentations.
Students entering final year in September 2018 were engaged with from semester 2 of 2017-18 to encourage them to attend the conference. This cohort constituted the majority of the audience at the conferences.