The Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Network was established in 2016 by a community of Irish institutions interested in enhancing practice in undergraduate research in the Sciences. The SURE Network aims to enhance practice through dissemination of best practice, and implementation of workshops, conferences and an undergraduate journal. The SURE Network is a disciplinary network and member of the National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
The purpose of the SURE Network is: to form a community of institutions and people interested in enhancing practice in undergraduate research in the Sciences.
The objectives of the SURE Network are:
- To provide a shared space where resources can be exchanged, disseminated and stored for use by others.
- To form a community where connections can be formed on a national and/or regional basis to enable the establishment of inter-institutional initiatives e.g. undergraduate conferences.
- To provide a platform which can collectively apply for sponsorship, funding etc where appropriate.
The activities of the SURE Network are:
- Conferences: Starting in 2018, the SURE Network has implemented an annual series of regional undergraduate conferences in the Sciences. Three regional Science Undergraduate Research Conferences have taken place in each of September 2018 and September 2019, showcasing the research work undertaken by Final Year students on science programmes who completed their studies in June 2018 and June 2019 respectively. Final year students formed the audience for the regional conferences, at which the presenters are their counterparts from the previous year. Three conferences will continue to take place annually. More information…
- Journal: The best papers from the conferences are invited to submit a paper to an Undergraduate Research Journal, which is published online and edited by the SURE Network.
- Curriculum Development: The SURE Network is committed to researching and developing models for the effective integration of research into the undergraduate curriculum in the Sciences. More information…
The SURE Network is comprised of representatives of the following Higher Education Institutions in Ireland:
- Athlone Institute of Technology
- Cork Institute of Technology
- Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
- Institute of Technology, Carlow
- Institute of Technology, Sligo
- Technological University Dublin
- Waterford Institute of Technology
The SURE Network has the following committee structure:
- SURE Network National Committee
- SURE Network National Programme Committee
- SURE Network National Conference Committee
- SURE Network Local Programme Committees
- SURE Network Local Conference Committees
- SURE Network Undergraduate Journal Committee
- SURE Network Curriculum Development Committee
Further information is available in the Committees section is this site.