Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) 2020 Conference (Online)
Friday, 16th October 2020
This is the website for the SURE 2020 conference.
- The SURE 2019 conference sites are also available for Carlow, Dublin and Sligo.
- The SURE 2018 conference sites are also available for Athlone, Dublin and Waterford.
SURE 2020 Conferences
The SURE Network is delighted to host the Third Annual Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Conference (SURE 2020) on 16th October 2020 as a national, online conference (due to the Covid-19 restrictions). Students throughout Ireland who are completing their Final Year Project in 2019-20 are invited to submit their undergraduate research work to this conference.
The aims of the conference are to:
- Provide current students with an opportunity to gain an understanding of the work which has been undertaken by recent graduates, and the career opportunities that exist for graduates in Scientific disciplines.
- Provide recent graduates with an opportunity to gain a reviewed publication based on the scientific research undertaken by them during their undergraduate studies.
- Celebrate the academic achievements of recent graduates in the scientific disciplines.
- Provide a multi-disciplinary scientific forum through which undergraduate research outputs can be disseminated to students, researchers, academic professionals and industry.
The presentation for final year project coordinators and penultimate year tutors can be used to inform students about the opportunity to participation in the SURE 2020 Conference. Academic members of staff wishing to participate in the review process can submit their details here (by Friday, 15th May 2020).
- Abstract submission system opens: Friday, 3rd April 2020
- Abstract submission deadline: Friday, 5th June 2020
Friday, 15th May 2020 [For cohorts with a Final Year Project submission deadline after this date, Project Coordinators may contact the Programme Committee Chairperson to request an extension for their students.]
- Acceptance notification: Friday, 3rd July 2020
- Confirmation by student of intention to present: Friday, 31st July 2020
- Submission by student of final version of abstract or poster: Friday, 14th August 2020
- Conference date: Friday, 16th October 2020
- Conference theme: “Sharing Discovery”
Students and graduates who have recently completed an undergraduate research project (NFQ Level 8 or NFQ Level 7) in a Scientific discipline are invited to submit a 250 word abstract for an oral or poster presentation. Submissions are invited for the following, and related, disciplines:
- Analytical Science
- Biopharmaceutical Science
- Food Science
- Health Science and Nutrition
- Land Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Sport Science
The process for making a submission is as follows:
- Prepare an 250 word abstract using the Abstract Submission Template that clearly communicates your research to a scientific audience that may not necessarily have expertise in your own discipline. You are also required to answer two additional questions in this form, to assist reviewers in evaluating your submission.
- Prepare a consent form using the Consent Form Template signed by your project supervisor.
- Upload the abstract and consent form the Submission System, providing all the required details, including the list of authors and their affiliations (Note: you will need to be logged into a Google account to make this submission. If you do not have a Google account please contact the Programme Committee Chairperson.)
The deadline for submission is
Friday, 15th May 2020 Friday, 5th June 2020. If your Final Year Project submission deadline is after the submission date, Project Coordinators are asked to contact the Programme Committee Chairperson.
Your submission will be reviewed by two experts in your field, and authors will be notified of the outcome by email on Friday, 3rd July 2020.
Accepted authors will be invited to present their papers or posters online. Students commencing final year in Spetember 2020 are invited to join the online audience of the event. All accepted authors will be issued with guidelines for the final version of their presentation or poster in advance of the conference.
The conference booklet will be made available online to all participants and all audience members.