Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) 2018 Conferences
Friday, 27th September 2019
SURE 2019 Conferences
The SURE Network is delighted to host the Second Annual Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Conferences (SURE 2019) on 27th September 2019 in Institute of Technology, Carlow, Technological University Dublin and Institute of Technology, Sligo.
Students from Institutes of Technology throughout Ireland who are completing their Final Year Project in 2018-19 are invited to submit their undergraduate research work to this conference.
The aims of the conference are to:
- Provide current students with an opportunity to gain an understanding of the work which has been undertaken by recent graduates, and the career opportunities that exist for graduates in Scientific disciplines.
- Provide recent graduates with an opportunity to gain a reviewed publication based on the scientific research undertaken by them during their undergraduate studies.
- Celebrate the academic achievements of recent graduates in the scientific disciplines.
- Provide a multi-disciplinary scientific forum through which undergraduate research outputs can be disseminated to students, researchers, academic professionals and industry.
The presentation for final year project coordinators and penultimate year tutors can be used to inform students about the opportunity to participation in the SURE 2019 Conferences.
- Abstract submission system opens: TBC
- Abstract submisssion deadline: TBC
- Acceptance notification: TBC
- Confirmation by student of intention to present: TBC
- Submission by student of final version of abstract or poster: TBC
- Conference date: Friday, 27th September 2019
- Conference theme: “Sharing Discovery”
Three SURE 2019 conferences ran simultaneously in three venues around the country.
- Institute of Technology, Carlow (host institution)
- Waterford Institute of Technology
- Cork Institute of Technology
- Technological University Dublin (host institution)
- Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Institute of Technology, Sligo (host institution)
- Athlone Institute of Technology
- Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
Students and graduates who have recently completed an undergraduate research project (NFQ Level 8 or NFQ Level 7) in a Scientific discipline are invited to submit a 250 word abstract for an oral or poster presentation. Submissions were invited for the following, and related, disciplines:
- Analytical Science
- Biopharmaceutical Science
- Food Science
- Health Science and Nutrition
- Land Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Sport Science
Students wishing to make a submission for SURE 2019 are asked to do the following:
- Prepare an 250 word abstract using the Abstract Submission Template that clearly communicates their research to a scientific audience that may not necessarily have expertise in their own discipline.
- Prepare a consent form using the Consent Form Template signed by their project supervisor.
- Upload the abstract and consent form (this can be submitted using the Cover Letter facility) using the Submission System, providing name, email and affiliation of the student as first author and name, email and affiliation of the supervisor as second author. (Note: you will need to create an account of the Submission System. You will be prompted to do so as soon as you click on Submit Article on the home page.)
The deadline for submission is to be confirmed.
If your Final Year Project submission deadline is after the submission date, Project Coordinators were asked to contact the Programme Committee Chairperson.
Submission will be reviewed by two experts in your field, and authors will be notified of the outcome by email.
Authors will be invited to make an oral presentation or a poster presentation at the conference. Oral presentations are 10 minutes in duration. A laptop and projector will be available for presenters who wish to use Microsoft PowerPoint on the day.
Posters are formatted as A1 portrait or landscape. Presenters will be available for discussions about the poster during the conference.
All accepted authors will be issued with guidelines for the final version of their presentation or poster in advance of the conference.
Attendees will register with the local venue. Details of the three venues are provided below: