Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) 2018 Conferences
Friday, 28th September 2018
SURE 2018 Conferences
The SURE Network is delighted to host the First Annual Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Conferences (SURE 2018) on 28th September 2018 in Athlone Institute of Technology, Dublin Institute of Technology and Waterford Institute of Technology.
Students from Institutes of Technology throughout Ireland who are completing their Final Year Project in 2017-18 are invited to submit their undergraduate research work to this conference.
The aims of the conference are to:
- Provide current students with an opportunity to gain an understanding of the work which has been undertaken by recent graduates, and the career opportunities that exist for graduates in Scientific disciplines.
- Provide recent graduates with an opportunity to gain a reviewed publication based on the scientific research undertaken by them during their undergraduate studies.
- Celebrate the academic achievements of recent graduates in the scientific disciplines.
- Provide a multi-disciplinary scientific forum through which undergraduate research outputs can be disseminated to students, researchers, academic professionals and industry.
The presentation for final year project coordinators and penultimate year tutors can be used to inform students about the opportunity to participation in the SURE 2018 Conferences.
- Abstract submission system opens: Tuesday, 3rd April 2018
- Abstract submisssion deadline:
Tuesday, 15th May 2018 [For cohorts with a Final Year Project submission deadline after this date, Project Coordinators may contact the Programme Committee Chairperson to request an extension for their students.]Friday, 1st June (extension to previous deadline due to high demand)
- Acceptance notification: By end of June 2018
- Conference date: Friday, 28th September 2018
- Conference theme: “Sharing Discovery”
Three SURE 2018 conferences will run simultaneously in three venues around the country.
- Athlone Institute of Technology (host institution)
- Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology
- Institute of Technology, Sligo
- Dublin Institute of Technology (host institution)
- Institute of Technology, Tallaght
- Dundalk Institute of Technology
- Institute of Technology, Blanchardstown
- Waterford Institute of Technology (host institution)
- Institute of Technology, Carlow
- Cork Institute of Technology
Students and graduates who have recently completed an undergraduate research project (NFQ Level 8 or NFQ Level 7) in a Scientific discipline are invited to submit a 250 word abstract for an oral or poster presentation. Submissions are invited for the following, and related, disciplines:
- Analytical Science
- Biopharmaceutical Science
- Food Science
- Health Science and Nutrition
- Land Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Sport Science
Students wishing to make a submission for SURE 2018 must do the following:
- Prepare an 250 word abstract using the Abstract Submission Template that clearly communicates their research to a scientific audience that may not necessarily have expertise in their own discipline.
- Prepare a consent form using the Consent Form Template signed by their project supervisor.
- Upload the abstract and consent form (this can be submitted using the Cover Letter facility) using the Submission System, providing name, email and affiliation of the student as first author and name, email and affiliation of the supervisor as second author. (Note: you will need to create an account of the Submission System. You will be prompted to do so as soon as you click on Submit Article on the home page.)
The deadline for submission is
Tuesday, 15th May 2018 Friday, 1st June 2018.
If your Final Year Project submission deadline is after this date, please ask your Project Coordinators to contact the Programme Committee Chairperson.
Your submission will be reviewed by two experts in your field, and you will be notified of the outcome by email.
Authors will be invited to make an oral presentation or a poster presentation at the conference. Oral presentations will be 10 minutes in duration. A laptop and projector will be available for presenters who wish to use Microsoft PowerPoint on the day.
Posters will be formatted in portrait or landscape format. Posters can be up to a maximum of A0 size i.e. 841 x 1189mm or 33.1 x 46.8 inches. Presenters must be available for discussions about the poster during the conference.
All accepted authors will issued with guidelines for the final version of their presentation or poster in advance of the conference.
If you wish to attend one of the three conferences, you must register with the local venue. Details of the three venues are provided below: