Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) 2021 Conference (Online)
Friday, 1st October 2021
SURE 2021 Conference
The SURE 2020 Conference is the fourth series of Science Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) Conferences. Students from throughout Ireland who are completing their Final Year Project in a science discipline in 2020-21 are invited to submit their undergraduate research work to this conference.
The aims of each of the SURE conference are to:
- Provide current students with an opportunity to gain an understanding of the work which has been undertaken by recent graduates, and the career opportunities that exist for graduates in Scientific disciplines.
- Provide recent graduates with an opportunity to gain a reviewed publication based on the scientific research undertaken by them during their undergraduate studies.
- Celebrate the academic achievements of recent graduates in the scientific disciplines.
- Provide a multi-disciplinary scientific forum through which undergraduate research outputs can be disseminated to students, researchers, academic professionals and industry.
Academic members of staff wishing to participate in the review process can submit their details here, by Friday, 14th May 2021.
Call for Submissions
Students and graduates who have recently completed an undergraduate research project (NFQ Level 8 or NFQ Level 7) in a Scientific discipline are invited to submit a 250 word abstract for an oral or poster presentation. Submissions are invited for the following, and related, disciplines:
- Analytical Science
- Biopharmaceutical Science
- Food Science
- Health Science and Nutrition
- Land Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Science
- Sport Science
- STEM Communication
- STEM Education
- STEM Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- STEM Technology
Submissions are welcomed for lab-based and desk-based research projects.
Submitting your Work
The process for making a submission is as follows:
- Prepare an 250 word abstract using the Abstract Submission Template that clearly communicates your research to a scientific audience that may not have expertise in your own discipline. You are also required to answer two additional questions to assist reviewers in evaluating your submission.
- Prepare a consent form using the Consent Form Template signed by your project supervisor.
- Upload the abstract and consent form using the Abstract Submission System, providing all the required details, including the list of authors and their affiliations. (Note: you will need to be logged into a Google account to make this submission. If you do not have a Google account please contact the Programme Committee Chairperson.)
The deadline for submission is Friday, 14th May 2021. If your Final Year Project submission deadline is after the submission date, Project Coordinators are asked to contact the Programme Committee Chairperson.
Your submission will be reviewed by two experts in your field, and you and your co-authors will notified of the outcome in early July 2021. If accepted, you will then be advised on the dates for the submission of an updated version of your work for inclusion in the conference materials.
Presenting your Work
Successful authors will be invited to make an oral presentation or a poster presentation at the conference. Oral presentations are 10 minutes in duration. Posters are formatted as A1 portrait or landscape and will be available on the conference website. They will also be presented in brief by their authors at the conference. Poster authors must be available for discussions about the poster during the conference. All accepted authors will be issued with guidelines for the for the final version of their presentation or poster in advance of the conference.